As college students, there comes a time when we have to upgrade our closet from jeans and t-shirts to more professional looking clothes. Whether you’re about to start a full-time job or a intern for a summer, shopping for work-appropriate clothes can be overwhelming if you don’t know where to start.
Having interned in the corporate world for a few summers now, I’ve been asked a lot lately where I buy my work clothes, especially as a petite woman. It’s already hard enough finding clothes that fit, let alone formal ones! So, today I’m sharing my favorite places to shop for a professional wardrobe.
I’m a firm believer that it’s possible to look both professional AND stylish in the work place. Just because you’re working in a corporate environment doesn’t mean you have to wear black and white all the time! And, because work clothes can be expensive, I’m all about that affordable style. 😉 #studentonabudget
Here are my favorite places to shop, all with cute and petite-friendly sizes:
- Outlets: Outlets are my best friend because there are so many store options! If you can’t find what you’re looking for at one place, just go next door until you find it. Plus, you can often find designer deals at heavily discounted prices. The dress I’m wearing is DVF and I got it for under $50 at the DVF outlet! Talk about a steal. 😉
- TJ Maxx: I love TJ Maxx because they also have great deals. Some stores even have a “Runway” section with designer options for just a fraction of the price. My navy blue blazer (pictured above) is Tory Burch, but I got it off the clearance rack for under $100.
- Loft/Ann Taylor: While I sometimes find the clothes at Loft/Ann Taylor to be a bit too “mature” for my taste, occasionally they have some really cute designs! Plus, it seems like they always have some sort of sale going on. I’ve gotten skirts here for as low as $4 and dresses for $20. They also have a ton of petite options — I find that their blazers fit extremely well!
- Banana Republic: Like Loft/Ann Taylor, Banana Republic has some great sales and also carry a wide selection of petite sizes.
- H&M / Zara: Although I’ve personally never shopped here for professional clothes because I find the quality to be not that great, H&M and Zara are the perfect places to shop if you’re looking for something that you’re only going to wear a few times.
When it comes to professional clothes, I do think it’s important to splurge a bit because quality is so important. A high-quality, classic, and versatile staple piece can go a long way. Think of it as an investment in your future career! 😉
No matter what you wear, what’s most important is that you feel comfortable and confident. So go put on your best outfit and show the world the strong and awesome person you are! ❤